Wednesday 9 April 2014

Traditional Types Of Poetry - SONNETS


After learning about different types of traditional poetry such as Acrostic Poetry, Ballad Poetry and Didactic Poetry, we're climbing our next step to the staircase that leads to the temple of poetry.

Today, I introduce to you another form of traditional poetry, called 'Sonnet'. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Let's learn more about sonnet.

Coming to the main question,
What is a Sonnet?

A Sonnet is a poem consisting of 14 lines (iambic pentameter) with a particular rhyming scheme:
Examples of a rhyming scheme:
#1) abab cdcd efef gg
#2) abba cddc effe gg
#3) abba abba cdcd cd
A Shakespearean (English) sonnet has three quatrains and a couplet, and rhymesabab cdcd efef gg.
An Italian sonnet is composed of an octave, rhymingabbaabba, and a sestet, rhymingcdecde or cdcdcd, or in some variant pattern, but with no closing couplet.
Usually, English and Italian Sonnets have 10 syllables per line, but Italian Sonnets can also have 11 syllables per line.
French sonnets follow in this same pattern, but normally have 12 syllables per line.

For Example, read this beautiful sonnet written by Ronnie Doe,

A Lovely Sonnet
It I could write a lovely sonnet
What a wonderful blessing it would be
With a pen in hand and thoughts so honest
I would diversify my poetry

To go with the odes I share with the world
In addition to all my love ballads
A lovely sonnet would impress the girls
If they believed what they read was valid

As a poet out of his comfort zone
I would be happy that I took a chance
With the thought I had come into my own
I'd gladly write about love and romance

I'd encase my heart in a gold locket
Oh if I could write a lovely sonnet

:)

Another Example of Sonnet, A romantic love poem for my girlfriend.
"The First Romance Night"
With the sun that sets and hides,
Start a new voyage in dim light;
Little away from the rain-splattered window,
Cuddle and giggle a groom and bride.
As I taste the sweetness of her neck,
I see in her eyes; the love so genuine,
She runs her fingers in my hair,
Oh how I love this feminine!
The talc of rose on her back,
And her tingling touch arouse my senses;
With her hands embracing me, she rises
Leaning above the bed to cup my face.
Sipping elixir I feel as I taste her mouth,
Knowing she is mine; my hands stray south..

Do you wish to read more sonnets? Read at Love Poem Sonnet

Have you ever written a sonnet? Please let me know. We'd be greatly thankful for you to comment it!

Want To Write A Sonnet?
Read How To Write A Sonnet atHow To Write A Sonnet?

Stay tuned for more elements of poetry. Subscribe to Love Poems Deep From The Heart by email! :)

Also read - How to write a good love poem?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Want To Hear From You :)